Monday 29 April 2013

K- Day

'K' for Korfball


Korfball, n.  -a mixed gender team sport, with similarities to basketball and netball. A team consists of 8 players and played in 57 countries

So, before you think that I don't know my alphabet and wonder since when did the letter 'K' come after the letter 'I,' I will explain that due to an unforeseen (on my part) Korfball tournament, I did a sneaky swap round of the letters 'J' and 'K.' And so, on Saturday, 'K' stood for KORFBALL! Before you ask 'what is Korfball?' there is a short definition right above this! I mean, seriously! Yes, it is a real sport, yes, it is awesome and yes, you should join the club! On Saturday, the 1st and 2nd teams were off to Edinburgh for the SKA Cup tournament!

This wonderful tournament was handicapped, so us lucky 2nds started with some goals before the game had even begun! Without the extra goals, we would have drawn the 1st match, lost the 2nd one and won the 3rd... but we did have those extra goals, so we won the 1st match, still lost the 2nd one (but by a LOT less) and won the 3rd. By goal difference we managed to win the group stage and so had one more match left to decide who came 1st and who came 2nd in the whole tournament! A rather strange phenomena for the 2nd team, especially since the 1sts were battling it out for 7th place!

The 1st team played their final match first and it ended with some tense penalty shots, ending with a smooth shot from Helena, winning the match and placing them in 7th. Then it was time for our final match against Edinburgh Mavericks, would we win or would we lose?! I was ever so nervous, luckily though it's a team game and everyone else seemed to keep their cool and with some awesome shots put up by the team... WE WON!! YAYYY!! The 2nd team had finally won something this season!! The cup was small, but it was a cup!!! 

Back at Uni Hall, there were some celebratory fireworks just for us! (Well, not really but it felt like that) It's days like these when I realise how much I love being part of a team! K-Day was AWESOME!


I love Korfball! <3



No comments:

Post a Comment